Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Your opinion

So I get a phone call this morning from my very upset mother. Apparently the man that owns the place we board our horses called and lambasted her for 30 minutes last night. He was mad that I had put one of the other borders on my shoeing schedule. (at her request thank you very much) Well I guess he thought he was going to shoe her horse and hadn't told anyone. I didn't think anything of it when she commented last week that her horse needed shoes. Always looking to be helpful I asked if she wanted my guy to do it. She said yes. No big whoop. Well then Mr. Cranky pants (the barn owner) said I am taking money out of his pocket and went on to tell my mom that her horse is tearing his barn down and that it was gona cost her 2000$ to fix it and that my shoer was crappy and our horses weren't exercised properly. He even went so low as to attack her personally.
I could not believe it. This is someone that I thought of as a friend. If I thought he was going to shoe that stupid horse I wouldn't have offered up my shoer. Also when Moms horse kicked out the first board in the shoddily built barn, she offered to help fix it with his help, being that she didn't have the know how or the tools to do such a job herself. Cranky pants never got around to helping her. (a common trait for him) Now the hole is huge and he wants her to pay for it. She is so upset that she wants to move. (OK I understand that) What do you all think? Would you make her pay for it. How would you deal with this situation? Keep in mind that we have been with this barn for 7 or 8 years. Many of those years we were the only ones there. Sometimes board is late(never more then a week) but we always pay it. I am really at a loss here.

8 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Do some investigating, and see what else is available. Maybe see if your honey can help Mom fix the hole? Cranky Pants there needs to see that when you treat customers poorly, things change. If he was worried about loosing one shoe job, maybe he ought to think about loosing a dime over his dollar. I'd think that loosing a couple of paying boarding customers VS ONE shoe job would add up a wee bit differently....

Krystina said...

hi! *waves* I'm new to your blog. We run a small boarding stable up here in BC, and I work at a large training facility. Boards break. Horses kick. these things kinda go hand in hand. So typically we haven't charged our boarders extra unless there is significant damage. One thing I always tell people, TAKE PICTURES. So that, like in your case, if the issue worseness from the property owners neglegence, you have something to back you up. It's a tough one. Take a look at your boarding agreement and see what it says about damage to the property caused by your horses.

Lil Mama said...

Very good idea about the pictures. I wish we would have thought of that. Hind sight right?

Robynn's Ravings said...

I'd help you out but I'm COMPLETELY "un"stable in this situation. Sounds like the guy is pullin' numbers outta his hat because he's mad. If there's damage maybe your husband could fix it for your mom. And if this has been his way, maybe I'd be lookin' around. But if he's just a dust up and calms down most of the time, might be worth it to try and communicate. This advice and $8.00 will buy you a Venti from Starbucks.

Lil Mama said...

Well Mom and I talked about it. We are going to try and smoothing things out as much as possible. However we are going to be looking for a new place to board. I just feel uncomfortable there now.
Thanks every one for all your advise.

Unknown said...

Find a new place, but fix the hole. Then your karma is intact.

But being around someone like that is draining - spiritually and otherwise!

Train Wreck said...

Oh poor mom! Sounds like something else is bothering that guy. I mean if you have boarded that long? It gives him NO right to yell at her though! That is very unprofessional. You are better off findin somewhere else. No one needs to put up wiht that, crap. You didn't do anything wrong.

Meg said...

You ladies need to go some place else, in a hurry. Your poor mom!

The FamDamily

The FamDamily

My hunter

My hunter
Monster mule deer 2011

The Men On the Mountain

The Men On the Mountain

1st time at the beach

1st time at the beach

Harvest festival 2011

Harvest festival 2011

TLC and The Hunter

TLC and The Hunter
my boyz

TLC In Columbia CA

TLC In Columbia CA