Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A little rant

This is the tale of The Portaguee and the Princess.
Once upon a time there was a Great Grandfather who came to the united states from Portugal and worked his skinny little ass off to buy 100 acres of prime California Real estate. He paid around 1000. dollars an acre for 100 acres in the early 20's. Many people said he was crazy that the price was too high. "Don't worry" he said " The property will pay for itself." Well, sure as shit he did. First by growing tomatoes then with raising cattle. He raised a lovely little family. His children and their children in turn raised their children on the same property. Well now his great, great grand children are here. However. living in CA has some down falls. In the 70's the property was turned over onto the "Williamson Act" this is basically an act to keep people from building like a hundred houses on their property and fuckin up the country for everyone else. It also kept your taxes low.
I am fortunate enough to live on 17 acres of the original 100. The only problem is my house is a piece of crap When I say piece of crap I mean it. there are places that the foundation is coming away from the walls, I am sure there are termites.(hopefully they don't stop holding hands I think that's what is keepin everything together) My bathroom has no heater or vent and the walls are literally falling apart, my bedroom is also the laundry room/storm cellar/water heater closet and it sits on the road. This was not a problem in 1920 because there was no road. Now it's like living on the highway. My husband has been working with the county to try and find out how to get us off the Williams act (which ain't easy it can take up to 10 years) so that we can build a house at the top of our property (considering that everything about our house is illegal.) Well the Hunter has been working on this for a very long time talking to country planers and finding out what needs to be the first step. He finally found a lawyer that deals with this kind of thing. Got his mother to agree to go see the lawyer and figure out how to split the property up in a living trust/will so that he and the Princess (the Hunters twin sister) will be most profitable and make the transition easier and less expensive if god forbid something happen to his mother. However the spoiled little princess without doing any work, or asking any questions, threw a total hissy fit that she wasn't involved and that he was only doing all this for his own benefit. Well that really pissed off the Hunter. The whole reason for him doing this is so that it benefits them both in the event of their very own mothers death. Not only that but it would keep the houses and property from going in to probate, which, is whats going to happen now. The Mother was so upset by the Hissy fit that she called off the meeting with the good lawyer. Saying she will use her Lawyer, who by the way she hates. Not only that but Mother in law is the BIGGEST procrastinator ever!
Example: The Hunters older sister died of cancer almost 3 years ago. There is still no plaque on the grave site. The cars are all still in her name sitting in the field up at Mother in laws and there is still problems with the taxes and credit cards that no one has taken care of.
Now all the Hunters work is down the tubes because of a spoiled little brat. Meanwhile we are living in a house that you can't fix because you can't pull permits on it, and we can't build because we can't have Mother in law divided it up and The Hunter isn't talking to either of them. AHHH!!! It is so frustrating to be living on land that doesn't work for you. Whats the point. Seventeen acres and all we have on it is a chicken coop, four goats and a lot of poison oak. I pay (get this) $375.00 a month to board my horse five miles from my house. (You may close your mouth now.) Why you ask? Because there is no barn (any more) no arena and no where to ride. How totally ridiculous is that. I am not really sure how this this little tale will end but I will keep you updated.
On an up note I get to go to a spa in Napa on Saturday. (with the Mother in Law and the Princess) should be fun.

6 comments:

Robynn's Ravings said...

Wow, Lil Mama. What a super-sized pain in the butt. I hope you don't kill somebody over the weekend but if I see a headline called, "Spa Murders" I'm gonna know what happened. Maybe you can use all the tact, kindness, and diplomacy you've been savin' up for just such an opportunity as this, and help them see the benefit for the fam damily. You deserve better and maybe if SHE comes to realize how MUCH she'll lose if it goes to probate, she'll start seeing straight.

Good luck, girlie, and my prayers are with you for a good outcome. I'll be waiting to hear y'all got back in one piece.

BTW, you SURE gave me an education on the Williamson act. I didn't know it was THIS extensive and invasive for the people LIVING on the property. Wow.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Man oh man. Family sure can show out when they think they aren't getting their "fair" share. Doesn't matter whether they have any idea of what exactly is going on, but they are gonna show their butt anyway.

We have dealt with a lot of crap over the "family" ranch, every since my grandpa passed away in 1990. Twenty years later, we STILL can't really invest $$ into fixing things up like they need to be because of "extra" people who ended up being declared heirs. Anything we do towards making the place nicer or more usable increases the value and therefore their "share" in it. Nevermind that they have never set foot on the place or invested a single dollar toward all of the lawyer's fees/taxes/maintaining the homestead/payments, etc, etc. I know, I'm preaching to the choir right?

It keeps me pretty riled up when we get the annual phone call asking "How many years before everything is paid off?"

NEVER! As far as I'm concerned! I'll keep borrowing money and stretching out those payments until hell freezes over. Or you get sick of waiting for your "payoff" and decide to sell me your share-based on the original value of the land. Heehee-I'm a mean be-otch aren't I? LMAO

Lil Mama said...

I totally feel ya brown eyes. I get a little like that myself.

Building Life in AK said...

Uh, oh. Now this is some genuine, from-the-heart blogging right here. Good luck!
We have just killed some fish. Stanford didn't get his sheep tag, but may be able to go out for a caribou (hopefully). It would be nice to get some meat in the freezer!
Any birthday plans for you?

Unknown said...

Oh my. That's really terrible. Somehow this needs to become Princess' idea. Thats how we get things done with... strong personalities.

Trick them.

Katidids said...

Hmmmm, do they have a mud bath at the spa?

The FamDamily

The FamDamily

My hunter

My hunter
Monster mule deer 2011

The Men On the Mountain

The Men On the Mountain

1st time at the beach

1st time at the beach

Harvest festival 2011

Harvest festival 2011

TLC and The Hunter

TLC and The Hunter
my boyz

TLC In Columbia CA

TLC In Columbia CA